Friday, July 12, 2019

ALL-TIME SAN DIEGO PADRES

One of the projects I have been working on with our deep collection of cards on this site, along with others, and the original 2000 and 2001 Showdown cards is making ALL-TIME teams for each franchise. Peter and I always go back and forth on how stacked some teams would be and what strengths would carry a team past another. I figured the first team I show off would be the most recent released from the 2018 set, the San Diego Padres. Originally I had the thought of most points for each, but then went to break it down a little more, making multiple categories to qualify for the team. So i made rosters under each category listed below:
Starting Pitchers:
Top 4 in Points = 2 Points
Top 4 in Control = 1 Point
Top 4 in Strikeouts = 1 Point
Top 4 in Tier = 1 Point

Relief Pitchers:
Top 5 in Control = 1 Point
Top 5 in Strikeouts = 1 Point
Top 5 in Tier = 1 Point

Batters: Filled a lineup at each position for each
Points = 2 Points
On-Base = 1 Point
Speed = 1 Point
Defense = 1 Point
OB+HR (Power) = 1 Point

I did the points getting more points because I do want the best of the best, but this also gives some defensive speed guys a chance to sneak onto the roster. I didn't rank by points for relievers because of the 2001 set where they raised the points on all the bullpen people. Without further adieu here are the ALL-Time San Diego Padres.
Rotation:




Bullpen:





Lineup:










This team checks in at a whopping 6570 points, and is probably in the lower third of all the teams when it comes to total points. Looking at this team the first thing I thought was Tony Gwynn is missing and it's sad because his showdown cards don't reflect how good of a hitter he truly was. After looking at this team, how does your favorite team stack up? What team do you think will be the absolute hardest to defeat. 



1 comment:

  1. Love this! I'm hoping in the same boat. I'll do my run of the Padres first and we can compare and contrast.

    ReplyDelete