Monday, April 13, 2020

MLB Showdown 2005 Mini Set Part 1: Commons

Hey everyone, Matt here and today I am introducing a project that I have been working on for about 8 months if not longer. The 2005 season Mini set, Why did I choose 2005 is a great question, and I have a few answers for that. First, it was the first season that we didn't get a new showdown set. Personally it stopped for me after 2001, but for many of you collectors you kept going all the way until the very end. My second answer would be because I really wanted to see the ridiculous card that Andruw Jones put up with his crazy stat line. But either way what I did was take the qualified hitters and pitchers from the 2005 season, which produce 356 cards. So these aren't completely full teams but there are plenty of players in this set to go crazy with. This has been such an extended project to get cutouts for all these players, and man the 2005 image quality just isn't very good for everyone, you may notice some players are a little more blurry than others and that is why. Now there are a ton of cards to be posted, so this will be broken down over a 3 post series.




This post is the introduction of the set, the common cards, those love able cards that aren't the "foils" but still fill up the base of your team that you are building. Making some of these guys not foils was quite difficult, but I wanted to keep the number of foils down. I'm sure many will be opinionated on a couple not getting it but I needed to keep the number at a percentage similar to the 2000 showdown set.

Post Schedule:
Part 1: Commons
Part 2: Foils
Part 3: Historical Collection

The first 2 are self explanatory, but that third one is my favorite, and I am sure it will be many of your favorites, as players will be coming from all decades for every single team. This is my version of a pennant run type of sub set for this set. These cards will have a unique design that I think would look amazing as a printed out foil card. Get ready to add some of the games greats to your showdown collection with these guys, because they are truly some of the best of the best.

There are 314 commons in this set, that will be featured in this post, get ready to start building the bases of your teams with the Commons of the 2005 set:

Anaheim Angels:












Arizona Diamondbacks:










Atlanta Braves:








Baltimore Orioles:








Boston Red Sox:










Chicago Cubs:







Chicago White Sox:














Cincinnati Reds: 










Cleveland Indians:















Colorado Rockies:








Detroit Tigers:












Florida Marlins:








Houston Astros:










Kansas City Royals:










Los Angeles Dodgers:







Milwaukee Brewers:









Minnesota Twins:













New York Mets:









New York Yankees:












Oakland Athletics:











Philadelphia Phillies:











Pittsburgh Pirates:










San Diego Padres:








Seattle Mariners:












San Francisco Giants:











St. Louis Cardinals:











Tampa Bay Devil Rays:











Texas Rangers:












Toronto Blue Jays:














Washington Nationals:











Phew that is a ton of cards, and there will still be two more posts of cards from this set. I hope you enjoyed them all, take your time digesting them, it will be fun to gear all of your opinions on these players. Post 2 will be the foils of these teams that will be coming next and that is where the top guys of this set are hiding at. 

15 comments:

  1. Grady Sizemore, Brandon Inge, Jimmy Rollins, and Matt Holliday really stood out to me as amazing value picks and I can't wait to incorporate them into my lineups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are alldangerous, furcal and carl crawford as well, alot of 8s that can do some damage on the bases

      Delete
  2. Man great post I see ichiro still manges to stay cheap and Doug brocial letting me down with a 20 point card that's worth 20 points. That mauer card looks great with 3 outs from a 9 +8 arm and 16 speed. One thing I have to point out is that some of the tigers say speed R not speed B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good catch thank you so i can get those fixed

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it just me or are there a lot of 14 out pitchers here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what I did was vase it on their tiers, if they had a high whip for their tier I gave out the 14 outs. Because they are more likely to allow base runners per inning. It was something I was testing out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! have seen the work you've been putting in and love to see this out! Been absolutely swamped and this is my first time checking in since all this craziness happened. Excited to getting back to being a more active member!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

    Also, you've got Doug Davis twice in the Brewers section.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only typo I saw was Richie Sexson (SEA) bats R. But wow, I can't wait to see the others... these are great. Thanks for sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this amazing new set. Since 2005 was my first year getting really into baseball there are so much memories involved. Love the Tampa Bay Devil Ray cards.

    Some feedback/suggestions:

    1. The Milkwaukee Brewers #6 card is missing.
    2. The San Diego Padres used a newer logo in 2005.

    See you soon on Discord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brewers card isn’t missing I accidentally posted the same guy twice and deleted one so it may show that another one shoulda been there. Padres was just my choice lol I love that logo

      Delete
  10. Great stuff here my personal favorites have to be Luis Castillo, placidio palonco, joe Maurer, and one of my all time original set cards Geoff Jenkins. I see Adam is Ramirez has consistently horrible defense and I'd say that draft that doug brocail wouldn't be that bad if you use him as a shell guy he cartainly saves you some points. Hard not to love some of the leadoff guys in this set like furcal, Rollins, lugo, ichiro, Giles (possibly my favorite), and Pierre (I left out Sizemore and crisp because they are a bit too powerful to lead off) it's nice to see cliff lee and Greg maddux at a decent price and the last card I'll mention is nick swisher not an excellent card but 2 outs is nice and low walks with a high double range but I loved watching him as a player

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness I didn't even mention chose figgins lots of #1 and 2 hitters in this set just not a ton of power

      Delete