Friday, August 14, 2020

2000 Commons Challenge

 Thanks to Japes for this idea.

 

Here is the quick rundown of the challenge: you must construct the best 20 man roster using only common cards (no foils and no misprints – sorry no 10 ob Andruw Jones).

 




The rules to follow when building your roster:

-only 2000 cards are allowed

-no foils

-no misprints (sorry Guzman, Jones, and Hammond to name a few) – play the card the way it was meant to be played

-4 starting pitchers

-minimum 4 relief pitchers

-minimum 3 bench/DH players

-every position must be filled (house rules at 1b, if an infielder covers first -1 defense, outfielder or DH -2)

-you can use either the base or pennant run version of a player, either are fair to use

-you can only have one version of a player on your team (you can’t play with both versions of Juan Gonzalez for example)

-select if you want to play AL or NL rules (DH or no DH)

-5500 point salary cap

 

As everyone will be creating their own roster, multiple teams can have the same player (example would be if everyone wanted to carry Richie Sexson at 1b or corner of, they could do so – but who would want to carry him on any team is the real question there).

 

To find out who has the best team, my plan is to play out the challenge. The format will be simple: every team will play one another in a round robin, 4 game series with two games home and two games away. The top two teams will advance to a 7 game World Series for bragging rights. House rules will be used (I am too lazy so I will not be posting them – if you have a question let me know). The one thing I will say is that bullpens will reset/refresh between series. To allow teams to manage to some degree, managers may send up to 2 special instructions on how to run their team (I am not as generous as commish allowing pages of instructions). I will not be keeping stats but will post scores from every game throughout the challenge.

 

In an effort to push the wonderful job that Thanos and Japes have done and invested on Tabletop, managers are allowed to play games on there (every card from the 2000 set has been loaded for use). If you do play, please send me a message so I can make note of it and add it to the standings. From conversations (I have never actually used the platform), the best way to use it would be play the games out via Tabletop and then also use Discord audio chat to communicate (games can be as quick as 20-30 minutes this way, compared to nearly an hour on Discord alone). I know there are several people that would like to start playing on there weekly or biweekly and this could be a fun way to kick it off. Bring back the old days of Sunday leagues, but maybe figure out what day would be best for multiple people to hop on and play.

 

I will be allowing teams to complete and submit their rosters by August 21. Feel free to post them either on the blog or direct message me (Win Dance Repeat). The Discord channel can fill up quickly and I do not want to miss anyone’s team.

 

Good luck to everyone.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very excited to see what comes from this. Saberhagen at 530 I believe is another one. I tend to roster him so he will likely be on my submission.

    I was expecting Ventura but Warren is a cool choice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea how to use any of the platforms suggested but would love to get involved in this potential league.

    Does anyone have a FAQ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do I sign up to play and how do obtain a deck or cards to play with... I'm definitely down.. I just came across like 70 cards in my Baseball box of cards lol... I miss playing this game and would love to get involved again please message me on Facebook or Instagram and let me know what I need to do in order to get involved... And hopefully we can keep track of stats like Hrs.. SB.. K's. RBIs

    ReplyDelete