Friday, July 13, 2018

World Series Rangers

The first complete major leagues, each person manages a team per division MLB Showdown league I ever played came after we discover Colby and the awesome guys at mlbshowdowncards.blogspot.com made a 2011 and 2012 set. We got the cards from them and made all the teams (under 5000 points) in the bigs and played out a 48 game season. The grand winner was the Texas Rangers, taking down the fantastic pitching Phillies in six games. Meanwhile, in my personal Showdown league where I didn't do any salary cap and I just put together the best players from 00, 01, and Colby's 11 thru 13 cards, the Rangers were the best team in baseball at 24-12 and beat the Wild Card Red Sox, swept the Blue Jays in the ALCS, and dominated the World Series 4 to 1 over the Dodgers. So in my mind, when it comes to Showdown, the Rangers are the best franchise around.... even though they've never won a World Series in real life. However, they got *really* close in 2010 and 2011, losing to arguably inferior teams in back-to-back World Series appearances. So to honor those fantastic Rangers teams, I put together the "best" collection of 2010 and 2011 Rangers cards to make their "World Series Rangers" team.


Also, since I wanted to put the blog's personal spin on everything, all 2011 Rangers cards are made through my hitting/pitching formulas rather than just reproducing the cards we got from Colby back in the day. It's fun seeing the slight differences, really showing how much this card making process is as much art as it is science! Also, I put together a few "foil" Rangers just because I think their secondary blue color looks really, really sharp. Enjoy this collection of amazing Texas Rangers!

Lineup: The Rangers were a top five scoring team in both 2010 and 2011, and their lineup definitely backs that up. As an OB 8, Kinsler may not be the prototypical Showdown leadoff hitter, but he sure brings a ton of pop and speed to the role! He's supported by a classic #2 hitter in Michael Young. While Young lacks HR power, he gives plenty of extra base hit potential and a lot of on-base. MVP Josh Hamilton hits third, showing off the season where Hamilton had an OBP over .400 and hit a remarkable .359 while clubbing 32 homers and 40 doubles. Cleanup is their surprisingly best player, Mike Napoli -- a catcher who's now easily contending with 09 Mauer and 01> Pudge for the best catcher in my Showdown collection. He hit 30 homers in a mere 432 plate appearances, putting him on track to hit over 40 with 600 PAs and thus earning the coveted (and unheard of for a catcher) OB 10, HR at 17 card. Nelson Cruz and Vlad Guerrero give them a really good power duo in the 5-6 holes. I was surprised at the stellar OBP Cruz achieved in 2010, as I mostly knew him in Texas as an OB 6-7 kinda hitter with a ton of power for the 2011 thru 2013 seasons. Although his 2011 season was one of his weakest in Texas, future Hall of Famer and 2011 Gold Glover/All Star Adrian Beltre still gets a "foil" card. He's a great #7 hitter who will punish low control pitchers. Moreland and Andrus are definitely weak links, but as end of orders go, you can't be upset with an OB 7 and 8 for a mere 160 points turning the lineup over. I think it just goes to show how incredible the 2015 Blue Jays lineup was that I'd still take them overall as a lineup, but there's diversity of speed/power and plenty of On-Base here to make the World Series Rangers one of the most dangerous hitting teams we've produced yet!










Rotation: Cliff Lee leads the way for a pretty stout Rangers rotation, which always seems to be the sacrificial point for a power-hitting heavy Rangers team. However, Lee is a bonafide ace. Leading the league in WHIP in 2010 and throwing seven complete games, Lee earned a tank of a card despite an ERA over 3. He'll absolutely frustrate lower OB lineups and should be just like he was in 2010 -- a guy with the occasional rough outing who's mostly unhittable. Backing him up is the 2011 ace, CJ Wilson, who had a sub-3 ERA in 2011 and won a great number of games. He's got a great K range and awesome control, giving the Rangers one of the better 1-2 punches we've seen. Derek Holland is the classic #3 pitcher as a tier 3, nothing too flashy and not with much weakness. Rounding things out is Tommy Hunter, who unfortunately surrenders a HR off his chart despite his Tier 3 status. If you roll middle numbers (and if you can just survive to an incredible bullpen), Hunter will be a good-enough fourth starter!







Bullpen: The Rangers bullpen is absolutely loaded! Feliz is the closer, a stellar Tier 2 guy with Control 5 who presents a reliable end of game option. Their Tier 1 set up man is the rookie Ogando, who would end up being an All Star and #5 starter for the 2011 team but had a better year (and can get a card) as a bullpen arm in 2010. Semi-annual stud reliever Darren O'day put together a very good Tier 2 card in 2010, previewing the strong performances he would eventually have for Baltimore. The practically ageless Darren Oliver rounds out the bullpen, giving them a Control 3, Tier 2 reliever who doesn't allow doubles. There's no weak link in the bullpen and it should be a great help if Tommy Hunter ever gets into trouble.





Overall: It's pretty insane that the Rangers couldn't win a World Series to start the 2010s, especially against the 2011 Cardinals... Also, don't worry Rangers fans, I can't believe my beloved Brewers lost to the Cardinals too -- I share your pain via that "11 for 11" team. As a Showdown team, they are unsurprisingly stacked and perhaps better than any of the "single season" World Series champion teams we've brought out, but their 5630 total points demonstrates they are not to the level where they'd be guaranteed a series victory against the 2016 Cubs, 2017 Astros, or 2015 Blue Jays. I think they're definitely more than a match for the 2009 Yankees, mainly thanks to the huge starting and bullpen pitching advantage. Getting to pick the best of two seasons for players really helps, but this run was still unusually potent for a team. Obviously the best matchup for them has to be the "Dynasty Giants" team we will be rolling out... I'd love to see a 2010 rematch between the full strength, super Showdown teams we're giving you!

As always, below is the non-secondary color cards if you're not a fan of the alternate backgrounds.




 


11 comments:

  1. That Mike Napoli card is unreal....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was shockingly good! .414 OBP and 30 HR in 432 plate appearances puts him squarely in the OB 10, HR at 17 range. His offense (in only 432 PAs!) was 4 wins above average!! Plus he tossed out 36% of baserunners for a +7 arm...... I think he's honestly challenged 01 Pudge and 2009 MVP Mauer for best catcher card in the game!

      Delete
    2. according to the calcuations I ran he is the #2 catcher with the 2009 Mauer card being 1, and 2012 posey at #3 and 2001 pudge coming in at 4

      Delete
    3. That's a really cool big four! Hopefully when we've eventually made enough cards (plus 2018 set), if you wanted to do those sort of calculations for the various position groups, it'd be really cool to definitively have a "top X players" per position in Showdown rankings! You'd be more than welcome to do a write up/publish it!

      Delete
  2. I actually prefer the blue. But that may be because now the Red color scheme is their secondary color these days. Seeing this actually makes the sting of the two losses worse. You forget just how incredible they were in that run. Thanks a ton for these.

    I'd be interested in seeing how your formulas are based. I'm gathering that you set OB and control where I use the sliding two variable approach. I set a OB based on a stat but then run the number with +/-1 on each side of OB to get the closest stats per season. Sometimes I get closer stats dropping the OB by one and recalculating the spread. It's amazing how much time I spend here and on the FB page since I've actually moved on to my own custom baseball game that's sort of a hybrd of Showdown/Statis Pro but I love reading your blog.

    I was about to offer up some options for creating cards quicker (I use Illustrator) but I think I read you were using GIMP. Good luck and keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they really, really were amazing!!! I'm also really partial to the blue, it's got a cool-icy look to it that contrasts really well with the red uniforms.

      I do sliding for control like you're describing but set the Tier (so a guy who's Tier 2 can be a Control 6 with 1-15 out, Control 5 with 1-16 out, etc etc) and adjust to ensure the card reflects the right k rate, etc etc etc. I try not to slide OB -- though was really tempted with Jimmy Rollins' 2007 season -- because it usually fits in just fine but there's definitely exceptions.

      The big problem these days is I'm studying for the bar exam, so I'm preoccupied there, but then will come back with a card-creating vengeance! Also your game sounds really cool/interesting and if you ever want to write about it or share any cards you've made, I'd be happy to let you post some articles! I'm a "the more people who get to share their stuff, the merrier!" person when it comes to Showdown.

      Delete
    2. I basically wanted to play a dice and card baseball game with my baseball obsessed son. Something that could travel well. But all the old Statis Pro/Strat-o-matic games were just too fiddly. Then about 2 years ago we discovered MLB Showdown and a friend sent me a mostly intact starter set and a few other cards as he never got into the game. My son and I had more fun drafting teams than playing the game and we liked the game a lot but there were a few things we just wanted more of. I'm a baseball coach these days and my strength is Defense so we wanted Defense to play a bigger part and to use a few defense strategies as a teaching point for my son. (such as infield in and such). Also strategy cards were cool but we never liked needing a card to attempt a steal. Plus I wanted a more sensible rolling strategy and didn't like when the pitcher wanted to roll high for the pitch but low for the swing...so we adjusted so that the defense always wants to roll low and the offense always wants to roll high...on all rolls...every time.

      Your site has inspired me and I was debating on starting my own blog since I wanted to share my game but new it could never be sold due to licensing. Perhaps posting here would be less stressful than worrying about filling a whole blog...I'll let you know.

      Delete
  3. Japes - I would love to talk to you more and see what you came up with as I am 4 years into working on my own "upgraded" version too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm probably 10 years in on this hobby game...I'm afraid of what would have happened to all my money had I discovered MLB Showdown when it was available in the retail. It inspired a lot of changes to what I had. I have been posting more on the MLB Showdown Facebook page so you can see some of my thoughts on defense being discussed right now. I just get confused with which of those guys belong to which faction...I've gathered you and Bob are here and I've stumbled upon Colby's groups site but there are others that have posted quality cards that I'm not sure if they are here or not. Are Nate and Seth part of this group or are they a different group? Feel free to email me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Japes - I will contact you via Facebook tonight... just made the connection as to who you are in that group... I can answer all of your questions and maybe you can give me some insight into your changes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I’m looking for someone to help me! I’m trying to figure out these formulas to get accurate statistics. I’m trying to put my own twist on the game as well!

    ReplyDelete