Tuesday, December 22, 2020

NBA Showdown - NBA New Season

 It feels like the season just ended for the NBA and the bubble was a success. This is a pro sports record for the shortest offseason among the 4 major sports. 71 days since the Los Angeles Lakers won the NBA Championship, and they are partaking in the festivities tonight. I am excited for a new season, as I had said in a previous post, that I will be making the 2020-2021 set for the blog. I figured why not show off some of my early work from last season as a preview of what is to come once this new season comes to an end. So I figured lets start where we left off, and I am going to post the two teams that made the NBA Finals last season, the Miami Heat and the Los Angeles Lakers. Hopefully some out there are going to play some games, and if you do please let me know on some feedback, I love hearing results. 

So let me get started with the NBA Champs. The Los Angeles Lakers. The team was obviously led by their superstar duo in LeBron James and Anthony Davis. These two played tremendous as LeBron won his 4th title, and in Showdown terms he is fantastic as well. Even his worst roll gets you 3 points and an assist. Most cases he will be better than that. Anthony Davis was a beast as well, and once you get past his first roll, he does a lot of damage. Also being fast and powerful helps him be able to defend the best at his positions very well. The rest of the team is loaded with role players. Coaching decisions will predicate who you want to play along side your duo. Rajon Rondo can provide more assists if you want to set up LeBron before using him. ( When I have played as these Lakers, I would go Rondo first to set up LeBron, the LeBron followed by AD giving you a chance to get big quarters from the duo, and when playing against the Lakers, making sure LeBron goes last in the quarter was a focal point.) Kyle Kuzma can score off the bench if you get your good rolls, but his low numbers make him a matchup nightmare on defense. If you want to go big and cause some havoc on the boards, Dwight Howard is a good decision with his 14 power. You can mix and match as the game goes along following the hot hands and other opportunities.










The Miami Heat were truly fun to watch in the playoffs. I have to admit it every single time, when Jimmy Butler signed in Miami I was one of those, He doesn't care about winning people. He proved fit and culture can go along way in making a contending team. This team was truly incredible and then underhanded in the finals. They will be a fun team to follow as the youth of Herro, Nunn, Adebayo, and Robinson growing alongside Jimmy butler, you would hope that they should only get better as time goes along. From a Showdown perspective, Jimmy Butler is a great have on a team with his versatility, and in most cases should have productive quarters. Dragic and Bam are good role playing stars, as you want the assists from Goran and the Rebounds from Bam. A Top level roll from Bam gets you a lot of each and a Great game from him should make your team very succesful, but you just have to get him there. Kendrick Nunn before the bubble was absolutely phenomenal for a rookie, and his card reflects it. The heat role players are a level up from the Lakers, but in the NBA star power truly can make or break a game. While Herro and Robinson are great pieces to put around your stars, they will not win you games on their own consistently. I love the Heat as a full team, but you need to make the rolls.  











So there are two teams from the 19-20 season, let me know what ya think. Should I share more of the teams, I know I said that the 20-21 set was going to be the debut but if people are going to play, why not share the cards right. If the speeds and powers seem a little lower for the non star players, I developed my own way of award how much they get, and where it gets spread. While speed isn't just how fast a player is, it was awarded more towards, players that score from the outside, and on drives to the basket. Power is for players that do their damage inside the three point line on post ups and spot up jump shots. Of course some adjustments are made from there but thats where I am right now. Maybe if I make more posts I will post all the "Star" players (see the symbols on LeBron, AD, Bam, Jimmy, Goran) or make a starter set, 20 player post. I love hearing what everyone thinks of how they look. THE NBA IS BACK!!!!




8 comments:

  1. Are these based on the original WotC formulas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to copy them to the best of my abilities. I have reached out to a couple people that i saw online worked with them, and never got a response. So Ive spent a couple years doing my own thing that to me seems to be pretty on line with what they did. Ideally I would have gotten their formulas but like many when they work on something for so long, you dont want to just give your work formulas out. Through the play testing I did, they mesh pretty well together tho. Points may be a little different because I tried to make role players worth a little more so you can't just load up on 3 stars and then fill in with decent players.

      Delete
  2. Will the best guess old formulas be made available? Would love to make some of my own cards for older seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great!

    Danny Green should be able to play SG is my only suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used basketball reference play by play, and by that Danny green played 86% of the time at small forward and 12% at power forward. While he is basically just a wing I tried to follow that to keep it all even. They consider LeBron a point guard which makes the Lakers things all screwy. Thanks for the suggestion

      Delete
  4. Keep it up man, love playing nba showdown, and the strategy cards are the key to playing online.
    How do you guys play these showdown games? Do you play in person or online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mainly online, during the past year we havent been able to get together to play cuz of covid. trying to get a more improved way to play in tts

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete