Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Foil Talk

One thing that makes the old school MLB showdown cards awesome is the cool Foils/Holos (whatever you want to call them). They always had a nice shine to them and showcased the awesome players (most of the time). But how going forward are we as a community meant to make foils? We can de-foil some old magic cards and print on some translucent paper and stick it to them. That could work. But would be very time consuming. Isn't there a way we can just adjust the card itself to make it look "more special". One of my buddies to who plays from New York in an online league showed me some cards he uses from another creator. He simply alters the card itself to make it look "like a foil". This would save on time and money. So I was trying to play with one of the cards I created on different ideas. I chose Corey Kluber because he is awesome and I'm an Indians homer.


Now we must take this card and alter in a way that makes it look like some kind of special alter. I went through a bunch of different options. But the 2 that I settled on were a form of clouding that made the image look like some kind of acid wash and the other being a metal embossed look. I still wish I could get the Emboss to be a gold tone. But for now this is what the options were.



I posted these on my Twitter @BobBumbarger and got some feed back on the images. The idea was the embossed metal look is very appealing but hides what Kluber looks like. I love taking in ideas from the community (never be afraid to suggest something). The idea was suggest why not combine the original with the embossed look. Have Kluber look normal with this embossed altered back ground. So I took a stab at it and I have to say it came out really clean and good looking. Please leave your thoughts below. And as always follow me on Twitter @BobBumbarger



5 comments:

  1. I agree, compositing the Original Kluber over the metal Embossed is definitely the way to go. A little more work to make the text more readable would be perfect. Perhaps mask out those areas and add an overlay of the original text over the embossed just to give it an outline. Play with the layer styles a bit but color or multiply may be enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea. I was thinking maybe just the background to be embossed. i agree the texts are hard to read. I will play some more and post something later.

      Delete
    2. As far as you gold comment, in photoshop...try Layer>New Fill Layer>Solid Color. Place this layer just above the embossed background and set it to a darker shade of Gold than you want. Then set the layer style of the new fill layer to COLOR instead of Normal. Overlay may work as well but color seems best to me.

      Delete