Friday, February 22, 2019

My attempt at Challenge #1 -- GLOAT FOR PEDRO

If you haven't seen it, check out the first of Kyle's Challenge Series here.  It's called "Gloat for Pedro," and the challenge is to score quickly against the MLB Showdown 01 Pedro Martinez card!

Now, the rules allow to build players from 00-01 or any of the cards found on this site.... as long as they are On-Base 7 or lower!  So I did it two ways: (1) best possible lineup I could put together under those parameters, and (2) only using cards from the 01 set.  Here we go!

MY "ANSWER" #1: SUPER SEVEN SQUAD

SS Jimmy Rollins - 2007
2B Javy Baez - 2018
DH Trea Turner - 2017
C JT Realmuto - 2017
RF Kris Davis - 2017
1B Ryan Howard - 2008
3B Joey Gallo - 2017
LF Yoenis Cespedes - 2018 >
CF "What if" Marquis Grissom - 1999












The thought process: I was tempted to go with a speed-heavy lineup, just all Speed A players to scoot around the bases.  However..... all it takes is one bad roll from Pedro, and there's a 10% chance of it happening every time he pitches for the advantage.  To get the advantage every time, just once through the lineup, is a 38.74% chance.... so 2/3 of the time through the lineup, I'm getting an advantage! Accordingly, I wanted to maximize extra bases for my speedy players and HR power from everyone else (and then I adore the "What If" Expos, so I included one of my childhood favorites to hit 9th for a little good luck magic). Honestly, I'd be better suited with 2018 set's Chris Taylor (speed A with a double at 11) or 2017> 's speed A(24) CF Dee Gordon for the Mariners.... but I BELIEVE in the power of a card that just looks/feels special to me.

Lineup:  I've flipped the 2-8 spots in this lineup an incredible amount of times at this point (I'm maximizing Jimmy's PAs and definitely hitting Grissom last)... but I finally settled on this configuration. I've got my best player -- MVP Rollins -- leading off with A(23) speed and the second deadliest chart extra base wise, plus reaching base at 3.  Against a +5 arm, he's basically doubling at 3 and in scoring position for an accidental single off of Pedro or another lucky break for me.  Following him is speed A(23) Trea Turner, hoping to maximize the chances to put a 23 speed guy ahead of my most deadly extra base chart in Baez.  Perhaps most oddly was my decision to put Realmuto rather than a conventional bopper in the cleanup spot.  However, I wanted more speed ahead of the homer guys and his single at 7 would be clutch to drive in any of the guys ahead of him.  After Realmuto -- if Pedro makes a mistake, I've got a great shot at scoring!  Also, Pedro gets tired after 7 innings, and if he's truly cruising, then his lower Control self is going to be facing guys who'll hit him out of the yard 35% of the time they get a chart: I'll take those odds!

RESULTS



I got to Pedro in the second inning, mostly due to some terrible luck for everyone with the advantage. Krush Davis started off the inning with an 18 on Pedro's chart for a walk... and then Ryan Howard got the advantage.... promptly rolling a 4 and striking out.  Then some miracle luck: back to back singles (19 roll and 20 roll on Pedro's chart). I sent the speed B(16) Davis.  With a +4 OF and +5 catcher, Pedro needed a 13 or higher.  I figured a 60% chance to score off Pedro is fantastic odds... and it paid off with a 4 roll! (Playing the "advanced" with my own defense, I'd be +11 defense and still safe!). Just like that, a run crossed after 1 and 1/3 IP!  However, I was too invested and played out the rest of the game for kicks.

Now... I've never had a lot of luck with this Pedro card. That streak really continued in the second inning, when he gave up back-to-back charts to Jimmy Rollins and Trea Turner.  Both players rolled 11, leading to a double and single, with the A(23) Rollins outrunning the throw home to make it four runs. Pedro seemed to get out of after getting the advantage over Baez with a 3 roll....... and then walked him. He then struck out JT to end the tough, tough frame.  Pedro's poor luck continued in the 3rd, when he went through essentially the same "let on Davis, get out Howard, let on Gallo, single by Cespedes knocking in Davis, get out Grissom... give up a chart to the fearsome Rollins."  This time, a 3 roll bailed him out with a walk to Rollins.  After that, Pedro pretty much settled down (although he gave up a solo HR to Trea Turner).  Even more impressive was his +5 catcher throwing out Turner with a 19 roll in the 9th inning!

Here's the summary of the hitter's success vs Pedro:

And my lineup's stats, all cleaned up:


Overall, hard to be upset with a .278 average, .350 on-base percentage and 6 runs! I felt like I got extremely fortunate off of Pedro's charts -- but in reality, I went 6-33 with three walks off his chart (.182/.250).  On the flip side, I got the advantage 7 times and went 4-6 with a 2B, HR, BB and two Ks.  I got the advantage 17.5% of the time, which is definitely lucky, but not by much (I "should" get it approximately 11.67% of the time, thanks to Pedro's control dipping in the 8th and 9th).  Considering the mammoth charts I had ready to go for those few advantages, Pedro got off easy from my charts!

Let me know what you think of my squad, and tell me your solution to GLOAT FOR PEDRO that'll top it! Most importantly, enjoy these cards if you missed them previously and get hyped about what's implied by the Cespedes card ;)

2 comments: