Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Mixing The New Cards With The Originals

Hello everyone, I just wanted to stop by and share some of my team building experiences with mixing in the cards that have been made on this site, along with the 2000 set. For fun I threw together two teams, of course you know its coming one was the Cleveland Indians, and the other was the Houston Astros. To me the cards look fantastic when printed off, the only problem I have run into is the points do print a little blurry so I try to write it down on the back of the card so I don't forget. Same with the charts sometimes. Other then that everything else looks fantastic.

First lets look at the Houston Astros, i used the world series team as a base and sprinkled in some of the 2000 set cards.



PlayerPointsSpryan700
mccann60Spverlander470
gurrel190Spfiers30
altuve500Spdotel350
correa450Rpgiles180
spiers220Rpharris170
gonzalez400Rppowell70
hidaldo200Cpwagner230
springer460Total4958
gattis20
biggio70350
bregman74370
bagwell114570

First we have the pitching, don't mind the black and white Nolan Ryan, my printer ran out of colored ink so I had to get creative before I get my new ink. As you can see i have the regular 2000 base cards, a 2000 pennant run, the base card of creation and the orange foil. They all look great and fit as a team.Nolan Ryan and Justin Verlander 1-2 punch, these lineups better come ready in those two games. The bullpen was tough as the Astros bullpen was very pricey so I had to go low with Jay Powell, but the rest of the bullpen should be able to hold it down. As a manager you hope Ryan and Verlander can go 7-9 innings.


 The Batting portion of the team was also tough to build around because i wanted to incorporate Altuve, Correa, and Springer. I had to give up some points somewhere so I couldn't have Bagwell or Biggio until the bench. I figured with this team come 7th inning Bagwell can go to first base and Biggio or Bregman can DH/pinch run.

Now for the Cleveland Indians I struggled getting a team under the salary cap. I will have to dig out the 2001 team to probably build a better team so i can replace some of the weak points. But I was able to get them under the cap and ready to go. Also I will be debuting my first card i created to go along with the 2000 look.
PositionPlayerPoints
Calomar110Spkluber660
1bsexson290SpWright60
2bwilson130Spnagy320
Ssvizquel410Spburba370
3bfryman150Rpshuey160
LfJustice350Rpreed130
CfBrantley410Rpkarsay190
Rfsizemore460Cpjackson200
Dhbaines340Total4974
Bramirez112560
Bdiaz32160
BLofton90450

The Pitching staff is hit or miss for this team. Obviously game 1 Kluber is getting the ball, and the Burba and Nagy can be solid while Jaret Wright can really hurt your team. The bullpen is strong as those were the only options that I had for the team, as I said earlier I should dig out the 2001 cards to really make these teams interesting. 
 The Batting of this team also features some created cards, Bobs Kenny Lofton and my Grady Sizemore which I will post at the bottom of this post. Also a Michael Brantley that I found on twitter posted by the showdown guru. All these cards mesh perfect together and you cant tell the difference between the cards. What my plan is for the created cards is to use a soft sleeves since the paper isnt as thick as a trading card, or laminate them as I have access to a machine from work. Having to save Lofton and Ramirez for later in the game isn't ideal but having 2 10's already in the starting outfield helps as i can slide Ramirez into the DH spot and Lofton can pinch run at anytime.

2006 Grady Sizemore

This card is from the set of classic Indians I posted earlier this month but since I decided to try and make the cards look as good as everyone else has been producing I figured that I would attempt my favorite one first.

Thanks for the time everyone and I hope you enjoyed the read. Any other comments or suggestions let me know. Also let me know what you think of how the printed cards look next to the originals. I recommend anyone that plays with physical copies prints out what was created from this site, you can add tons of new and former players to keep the game fresh. 

1 comment:

  1. I love what you did here, really cool mixing the players of old with the cards we've been making! I haven't printed any off yet and it's cool seeing them side by side while not looking out of place! Corey Kluber looks perfect at the front of the Cleveland rotation, while the orange Astros cards look really good mixed in with the navy. If you have the two teams square off, let me know how the game went! I think Nolan Ryan vs Corey Kluber is going to be an absolutely epic smackdown for game 1.

    Love the first card, Grady Sizemore had such a brief shining star, and it's awesome to finally see a Showdown Card reflecting that! Definitely glad he made the cut for the Indians team as well!

    ReplyDelete