Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Some Of My Favorites

Now that i am playing around with making cards in the old showdown style, its given me a chance to go back and make some of my favorite players over the last 15 years that didn't get the proper showdown treatment.




First up is the slugging Alfonso Soriano, he was always one of my favorite players as a kid even though I hated the Yankees. I think this is because I was in downtown Cleveland for a game and my cousin pointed him out to me and I got him to autograph my baseball. Any ways his 2002 season was a great season with the bat. He finished with a .300 average, 51 doubles, 39 home runs and 41 stolen bases. He just missed out on a 40-40-40 season, which he would finally achieve in 2006 with the Washington Nationals. 2002 was his first of 7 straight years making the All Star Game, but this was the season with his highest finish in MVP voting finishing 3rd. The beast he was behind the plate hides the awful defense that he played committing 23 errors in this season.

Next up is 2007 Prince Fielder, and the mashing that he brought with him. Much like Soriano 2002, he also finished 3rd in MVP voting in 2007. Prince finished this season with 35 doubles, 50 home runs and 119 RBIs. While his 2009 season may have been better I chose this one because I had him in fantasy baseball this year and I only remember that because I won my fantasy baseball league that year with CC Sabathia and Fausto Carmona and the great year they both had.

Third on my list is 2009 Hanley Ramirez from his days with the Florida Marlins. Hanley finished 2nd in the MVP voting this season. With a stellar .342 batting average he hit 42 doubles, 24 home runs and stole 27 bases. Speed, and hitting make for a fun fast card that can hit anywhere in your lineup.

Finally we have 2016 Francisco Lindor, who finished 9th in MVP voting and won the gold glove for shortstops this season. This was a great year for Lindor making his first all-star game and leading the Indians to the brink of a World Series Championship only to lose in game 7 to the newly posted Chicago Cubs. Stat wish he wasn't super impressive batting .301 with 30 doubles and 15 home runs, in comparison through 71 games this season he has 23 doubles and 16 home runs already. Looks like 2018 might be his best card yet from an offensive standpoint, but this will probably be his best defensive card.

Let me know what you think of these cards above, and let me know some of your favorites that I can try to re-create.

1 comment:

  1. It's great seeing that old school Marlins logo and color scheme brought back! I miss the Florida Marlins, they need to go back to this turquoise-laden color scheme over the boring black look! Also, Hanley is an absolute stud at SS and ends up as quite the value because of the lack of HRs. Speed + On-Base makes him a premium leadoff guy.

    That Prince is one of my favorite cards of all time! Our cut off for OB 10s may be a little different that season, because I gave him a 10 but still kept the HR at 16 and he's SUCH a beast! One of my all-time favorite Brewers to watch growing up.

    Lindor is an all-around stud, love that +5 defense teamed with A speed and a good enough OB. He's definitely a good value play and I'm guessing will slide into your Indians 5000 point team nicely!

    Lastly, I love this Soriano! The navy blue background works really well and he pops off the card! Plus, what an incredible season -- definitely wouldn't want to face this card with a Control 3 or lower pitcher!

    ReplyDelete